Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Adepticon II: Swag Bag, Privateer Press, and Wreck Age

When I wasn't trying new games, I was busy getting free stuff, buying things, taking seminars, and talking to people about Wreck Age. Somehow I missed the part about registering for Adepticon gets you a swag bag, which gets you free things. My swag bag had a Hordes Warpack, several bits samples (Battleroad being significantly more useful than Spikey Bits's Black Reach Orc), a Mantic space Orc, several resin bases, the Adepticon mini and poker chip, Gale Force 9 Mysterious Woods markers, a Malifaux rulebook, a Secret Weapon wash (concrete), a Badger paint sample (I'm assuming it's for airbrushing), a Wreck Age miniature that I sent to the guy who bought my Necron army so it's not in the picture, and a Blue Table painting measuring tool that I have already lost. There were also some papers advertising things. If there was anything else in the swag bag I have lost that too.

Privateer Press had a beautiful diorama of Trollbloods fighting Kador. It was behind glass so it was very difficult to take a clear picture with my phone. There were also display cases with the new models that are coming out. I manged to take a lot of blurry photos. 


Wreck Age was the reason I was at Adepticon to begin with, and we had a pretty great demo board. As far as game play goes, Wreck Age is a skirmish game that is deceptively fast paced. I played a few games and wasn't a big fan of the system, but the more I played it, the more fun I had. My initial concern was that the game operates on a you go, I go system; but only one action (either moving OR shooting, not both) can be performed. There are exceptions to this rule, and some models get more actions than other models, but enough of the models are only performing one action per turn so I was hesitant to embrace it. From what I've played, this allows you to react to the other player, similar to Infinity but not nearly as intricate, so that you don't get steam rolled in one turn. Movement is also based on 1d6 + movement score so it keeps things interesting.

You move then I move

The game's mechanics are based on a d6 system where 4 is the base target and everything else is modified off of that. Multiple dice are rolled, but for most instances, other than hits, only one success is needed. Fairly simple and easy to learn.

Wreck Age as a system is meant to be played in the form of linked scenarios to create a narrative. The outcome of each scenario would improve your community, and your community would improve your units. The focus isn't on the units as much as it is on the community, as you'd choose different community members to fill your roster for different mission types, and death can be quick.

Good thing for you fighting isn't the only thing Wreck Age is all about. Different scenarios could involve skirmishes, trading, exploration, stealth, and role playing. There's a rpg inside the Wreck Age rulebook that's interchangeable with the miniatures game, with a bit more content on character development. 

The scenario we ran as a demo involved a Drifter vanguard trying to blow up a fence so that more Drifters would be able to come in and steal grain in the next scenario. The Drifters used exploding pack boars to do this, and the model is great. Actually all of the models are great, one of the Rackham sculptors did most of our stuff (I think?). Wreck Age's Miniatures

The board while setting up

I ran this scenario about 15 times before a boy from Scotland broke our scenario, knowing that he couldn't hit my sniper with a shotgun, but shooting anyways so the sniper would be forced to take a nerves check. Out of the 70+ adult wargamers that demoed this, he was the only one to think of that. He's going to be great at tournaments.

I was able to take a freehand painting class, a class on weathering powders which was great, a paint theory class, and an airbrushing figures class. They were worth the $15 a class, freehand didn't really do much for me, but it's hard to teach someone how to not shake and make a mess out of things.

So that's Adepticon, it was fun. If you're one of the first thousand to register, the swag bag's contents alone make the registration fee worth it. There was also some cheap vendors, I bought a lot of metal Wood Elf stuff for $2/model, found some old Mordheim stuff (I'm looking at you dwarf treasure hunter), and I was able to pick up Forgeworld's Gamesday Arbites model. I was tempted to pick up the Skin Wolf model but I have no idea what it's supposed to be used for.

No comments:

Post a Comment