Sunday, August 21, 2011

Menoth Vigilant

Being at This is Hardcore got me sick. Being on medicine made me shaky. Being shaky makes it hard to paint. That being said, I don't think I'd be very happy with this week's model regardless.

I painted up a Vigilant Light Warjack, although I have no use for it in my current list which involves me spamming Crusaders with the Harbinger. It's a fun looking model and I wanted to see what Privateer Press's resin/plastic was like. I've had this model for a while, and have gotten more (Bastions, heavy warjack kit) since. I like the material, but I don't like this particular kit. Maybe it was just me, but I couldn't get the legs to go in right, and they ended up looking a bit silly.

As far as painting goes, it's been so long since I've painted any big that I've forgotten how to paint a warjack. This might seem silly, but I'm not comfortable painting the large open areas that make up the armor on warjacks. Where should I highlight? Should the middle be the brightest or the darkest, or should there be a transition of dark to light from top to bottom? This becomes harder when there is a Menofix in the middle of every plate. I think when I'm done with everything, and there's a lot to get done, this model will be getting stripped and repainted. Hopefully I can blend by then, I tried to do so on several areas of this model, but again I wasn't very successful so I resumed layering. If anyone has any advice, it's appreciated.

 












I painted the gems and I think they looked pretty, but when I applied my gloss varnish, they went pretty dull. My varnish must be old since it was a little thick, I didn't expect it to gob up when it dried like it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment